William Blake

This blog is presented by Austin Schwartz, Erika Hewgley, Veronica Sanchez, and MJ Roy.

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Prose Poem: Fire

Looking at the fire in my chimney at midnight that warms my house I start to wonder: how could something so beautiful bring life and at the same time destruction? How could the roaring of the flames bring heat that brings us back from the dead, that those same exact flames could also kill us in a flash leaving the body unrecognizable?

How can that same fire who could destroy acres of forests ignited from the sun's burning rays, bring it back to life even better after it destroyed it? Is it cause it is not only destruction but also life? Watching the fire, hearing its crisp and crackling sound is soothing and calming yet at the same time  unnerving. Calming when I look at the flames change color and how it goes up and down. The crackling when I throw a piece of wood into it making the flame go higher to give out more heat. Unnerving that at any given moment a spark can fly away from where it is suppose to be and land on wood burning my house down.

If that where to happen then there wouldn't be anything left but to pray that the fire's enemy would come soon: water. The tears that would have rolled down my face, where to be the one's coming down the sky to beat away the fire and save me from the hard, lonely, and cold streets.

Yet on the long run if the rain never came and the firemen couldn't do anything to stop it and had to watch my home slowly burn away, and in its place be left ashes of the past that leave me out in the cold. I hope that there would have been a lesson worth all that pain and suffering of losing my home. Maybe the lesson would have been that materialistic things are not forever, but perishable items that break and are replaceable. The only one true thing one has in life and in this world forever other than yourself, will always be your family whether in your heart or physically. I would have later on been grateful for this lesson of letting go of materialistic things and hold onto things that are more sacred. The fire may have destroyed a home but it built a new and better home.

No comments:

Post a Comment